Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Let's make our WORLD the most beautiful HOME.



If you are living in Singapore, you couldn't have missed this song on the TV or the Radio...(and now on the internet).

When I first watched it, I was more interested in the old footages of Singapore and the lyrics and melody was rather forgettable.

It was the image of the lady at 0:14 who swept all the litters down her flat that was etched in my mind.

“Are we allowed to do that? That will save us a lot of time!” I told my better half.

“Hello! That is not the message of the campaign!” my wife said to me.

Anyway, since I kept hearing the song whilst driving around and during my jogging session, that song somehow got embedded into my mind.

So I finally went looking for that song this morning!
(Did someone put in something subliminal there?)

Singapore has indeed come a long way from the days where drains were perceived to be the designated garbage bin.

Admittedly, there are still room for improvements but if we remain committed to the Clean and Green campaign long enough, we will get to a “heaven- like” environment, just like what the song mentioned in 0:23.

A Today reader, Ronald Chan, was also delighted with this song and it prompted him to write a letter in the Today Online Forum section.

While he loves the rapid changes, he also questioned if all these changes were at the expense of something else.

Ronald said: “Change is perfectly fine. In fact, we should all be worried if Singapore hasn't changed since independence. But sometimes, I wonder if we are seeking change for the sake of change.”

Yeah, are we changing for the sake of changing?

I guess not everyone can agree on this because what is important to some of us may mean nothing to others.

Frankly, I don’t really care about the Talentime that he mentioned coz I prefer American Idol anytime as it is far more entertaining…. but my dad may disagree.

But for something like the current debate about the Singapore Wet Market, I hope that will continue to be RELEVANT for a few more generations to come.

The future generations can decide if the supermarket is a better option over the wet ones.

Meanwhile, just leave the good and efficiently run wet markets alone and revamp the substandard ones.

I cannot imagine a Tiong Bahru without the Tiong Bahru Market….but I think that might be a possibility in say 2059 AD...and it might be renamed Tiong Bahru Super Market.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

aH.... now I'm showing my age. I remember Bugis Street of the old days, the bugis that Leornard Cohen sings of full of life, action, legal and illegal of course.

Bugis is now santitized and homogenized and boring. is it better ? That personal judgement.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bugis_Street