Guan Chuan Street within the Tiong Bahru Estate was named after So Guan Chuan.
Guan Chuan was a merchant in the 19th century Singapore.
Little was known about him, other than the fact that he was elected a member of the Singapore Chamber of Commerce in 1837.
The chamber then had only a few Chinese merchants as members.
He was also a founder member of the Qing De Hui and he contributed generously to the building funds for the construction of the Tian Fu Gong in Telok Ayer Street.