Tiong Poh Road within the Tiong Bahru Estate was named after a Fujian merchant, Khoo Tiong Poh.
He came to Singapore from China at 22.
He founded Chop Tiong Ho in Market Street and then quit in 1874 to set up Bun Hin & Co with his friend as shipowner.
He then engaged in ship chandlery business in the name of Ann Bee & Co.
He was also a partner with Keng Nam and Co and Chop Sin Bee Siang.
In 1888, he sought and was conferred a honorary title by the Manchu government.
He died in 1892 at 62.