The only road passable to bullock carts and rickshaws was then known as Sin Hock Heng Street.
In 1927, the former Singapore Improvement Trust acquired the areas and started to rebuild Sin Hock Heng Street.
When completed, the road was subsequently renamed Tiong Bahru Road.
Tiong Bahru Road ran through the estate from the Singapore General Hospital on one end to the Bukit Merah on the other.
Houses were built on both sides of the road.
Sin Hock Heng Road was the only road where bullock carts and rickshaws could pass when travelling between the city center and Bukit Merah