Yong Siak Street is a road between Chay Yan Street and Moh Guan Terrace.
(These are street names found within the Tiong Bahru Estate)
It was named after a Teochew merchant Tan Yong Siak (1835 – 1914).
Born in his native Zhaoan in 1835, he came to Singapore when young.
He first worked as an apprentice before becoming manager of Chop Ban Seng.
In 1863, he founded Chop Yong Hak Seng at 49 Circular Road and Ban Seng Soon at 71 Boat Quay in 1879, both dealing in Siam rice, rattan and rubber.
He was a founder member of The Singapore Chinese Chamber of Commerce.
He was a charitable man and an arbitrator.
He died in 1914, leaving behind many children and grandchildren.
Tan Jiak Ngoh was his second son.